Example GOLA PA1 Test Questions
The answers can be found by following this link. No cheating though!!
1) Having checked the site prior to applying a pesticide, the operators must
a. use the most economical pesticide product
b. comply with the Environmental Assessment
c. always wear an approved face shield
d. ensure that they carry an NPTC ID card.
2) The Code of Practice for using plant protection products requires that all pesticide operators should
a. attempt to use reduced volumes
b. keep up to date with legislation
c. modify their application equipment
d. regularly visit the DEFRA website.
3) The information provided in the ‘Statutory Box’ on a product label must be
a. strictly complied with at all times
b. used to help when calibrating
c. used when deciding the spray quality
d. read and learnt by heart.
4) The Field of Use of a product refers to the
a. size of field it can be used in
b. specific sectors in which it can be used
c. target/crop it can be used on
d. fact that it can only be used in fields.
5) A substance added to a pesticide in order to make it more effective is known as
a. a lubricant
b. an adjuvant
c. an emulsifier
d. an active ingredient.
6) Why should pesticide users remove PPE and wash themselves thoroughly before stopping work for a coffee break?
a. In order to comply with pesticide regulations.
b. To reduce self-contamination.
c. Because breaks have to be recorded in a logbook.
d. To satisfy local authority hygiene inspectors.
7) Which of the following is not a symptom of pesticide contamination?
8) The preferred type of face shield ensures that the wearer has
a. good visibility with full face protection
b. good visibility with adequate eye protection
c. the ability to raise the visor for better visibility
d. good protection in windy conditions.
9) What feature should a pesticide store have to reduce the chances of environmental contamination from a leaking container?
a. Adequate public warning notices.
b. A bund or trough to contain leakages.
c. Plenty of spare containers available.
d. A forced air ventilation system.
10) Empty pesticide containers should be
a. punctured and stored until disposal
b. triple rinsed and stored until disposal
c. triple rinsed and buried 0.8m deep
d. collected by the appropriate environmental agency.
11) Tank washings can only be applied to the application site provided
a. the label does not carry a hazard symbol
b. the maximum dose rate is not exceeded
c. they are mixed with a suitable adjuvant
d. permission has been obtained from the appropriate environmental agency.
12) After applying a pesticide the operator should
a. carry out an Environmental Assessment
b. complete an application record
c. take a two-hour break
d. check the wind speed and direction.
13) What are the visible signs of the ideal wind speed for most spraying operations?
a. Smoke rising vertically.
b. Leaves rustling and wind felt on face.
c. Leaves and twigs in constant motion.
d. Small branches moving and dust raised.
14) Before applying pesticides near water the product must have
a. ground water approval
b. aquatic approval
c. site-specific approval
d. generic approval.